Disclaimer

All materials, unless otherwise noted, were taken from the internet and are assumed to be in the public domain. In the event that there is still a problem or error with copyrighted material, the break of the copyright is unintentional and noncommercial, and the material will be removed immediately upon presented proof. Contact: shatril@yahoo.com


All bright red highlighted links are not the work of this blogger. I accept no responsibility for the products or processes advertised by these merchants. All of my highlights are a dark red or blue color. Sorry for the nonsense.

Monday, May 26, 2014

A Memorial Day Tribute to My Dad




















My father served in WWII, and was in the 12th Armored Tank Division. He drove a tank until they figured out that he could cook. This brought him a lot of interesting stories and recipes that he shared with us. He was late going to war, as he was 28 years old which made him too old unless things got really bad. Needless to say they did. He was 32 when he was released from the army, which was at the end of the war.

The pictures are of my father in his uniform, which was taken at Camp Campbell in Kentucky.  My mother got this picture taken to send to him. However, she and a friend of hers would drive down to Camp Campbell to visit her husband and dad, as they were both stationed there.

Mom managed Wilson's Sandwich Shop in Findlay, Ohio so dad would have the job when he came back from overseas. This was a really difficult time for her, and many of the wives that also worked at Wilson's to make ends meet.

I will post more on this area, as I find the time to do so. I can't seem to locate all the pictures that I scanned to make an album for mom, but will find the eventually.

Thank you to all veterans, and current men in uniform.

No comments:

Post a Comment