Disclaimer

All materials, unless otherwise noted, were taken from the internet and are assumed to be in the public domain. In the event that there is still a problem or error with copyrighted material, the break of the copyright is unintentional and noncommercial, and the material will be removed immediately upon presented proof. Contact: shatril@yahoo.com


All bright red highlighted links are not the work of this blogger. I accept no responsibility for the products or processes advertised by these merchants. All of my highlights are a dark red or blue color. Sorry for the nonsense.

Friday, January 4, 2013

New Years Day Good JUJU Sausage & Sauerkraut Yummmy

I'm not a superstitious person, and I don't think my mother was either, however, we ate this meal every New Years Day for good luck.  I think it worked, because we have all lead rather charmed lives.  I expect it is a combination of all good education on the ethics that my family, especially my mother, continually filled our heads with.
This dish is a good combination of savory and sour, with just a bit of sweet and loaded with umami.  The flavors burst in your mouth.  The feel of this dish on the tongue is so satisfying that I eat way more than I should.  Oh that never happens, OH yes it does all the time.  OK here is the Good JUJU meal for 2013.

Ingredients

  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 2 Tablespoons grape seed oil
  • 1 clove garlic minced
  • Sausage, Polish, kielbasa, smoked-I like the kind that comes in a ring.  Chicken or turkey work here, but you may need a little more oil.  I found some good beef, pork and chicken combos.
  • 1-1/2 Cups Rhine white wine
  • Large Jar Sauerkraut-Drained and rinsed well; I used Eden Brand organic
  • 2 cooking apples-cored and sliced-organic see this article about organic apples
  • 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar or 3 Tablespoons Sucanat
  • 4 whole cloves
  • 3 crush juniper berries
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Ground pepper to taste
  • Boiled Potatoes-I left the skins on.  I scrubbed them well with a brush and cleaner  I cubed them and cooked them at same time.

Procedure

  • Heat oil over medium heat in a large dutch oven.  I really like to use my ceramic-over cast iron, covered one here, as you don't want to use anything reactive/metallic as you will get an off flavor from the high acid content, and the cast iron will keep even heat and nothing will burn in it. *I did see some new research on the iron skillet concept though, and it looks as though using one to cook acidic food is a good way to get iron into your diet.  As a chemist I realize that this would be true, but also, it might be hard on the pan also.  I'm going to try this some time, but not now. See recommendation here.
  • Place the onions in the hot oil (do not get it hot enough to smoke).  Cook and stir for about 2 minutes and add the garlic, cook until onions are soft.
  • Toss in the sausage and let this brown well, then remove from the pan.
  • Pour in the white wine and deglaze the pan.
  • Throw in the kraut, apples sugar, and spices; cover and cook until apples are done and falling apart into the sauerkraut, about 15 minutes.
  • Throw the sausage and boiled potatoes into the Sauerkraut mix; cover and warm for about 10 minutes so the potatoes and sausage pick up the kraut flavor.
  • Plate and enjoy.  This is an excellent winter food; very balanced.
I hope you enjoy this dish.  It is a winter favorite at our house.
Namaste


No comments:

Post a Comment