Disclaimer

All materials, unless otherwise noted, were taken from the internet and are assumed to be in the public domain. In the event that there is still a problem or error with copyrighted material, the break of the copyright is unintentional and noncommercial, and the material will be removed immediately upon presented proof. Contact: shatril@yahoo.com


All bright red highlighted links are not the work of this blogger. I accept no responsibility for the products or processes advertised by these merchants. All of my highlights are a dark red or blue color. Sorry for the nonsense.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Quick Easy Sausage Skillet-Learn to Cook Series™


Quick Easy Sausage Skillet Meal

This one is so easy that I find myself making it a lot.  It is one of those base recipes that you can add all kinds of stuff to it to change it up a little or a lot.  This is a "Learn to Cook Series" Recipe.

Base Recipe

  • 1 package of smoked or Kielbasa Sausage sliced on a diagonal.  (change up)  Unfortunately that doesn't show up here.
  • I Can of Unsalted Stewed Tomatoes-can any flavor you wish (change up)--I prefer the Kroger Brand, and I stock up when they go on sale.
  • 1 Can of Rotelle or other tomatoes with peppers, this is a constant for me.
  • One package of Frozen Bell Peppers-I prefer the Kroger Brand, and I stock up when they go on sale.
  • One package of Frozen Onions-I prefer the Kroger Brand, and I stock up when they go on sale.
  • 1 Cup water
  • 2 Bay Leaves-I prefer Penzy's
  • 1 Tablespoon Good Cocoa Powder-I prefer Penzy's. Trick of the trade for rich tomato sauce.
  • 1 Small bottle of good dry red wine-or 2 Tablespoons of Balsamic Vinegar. Trick of the trade for rich tomato sauce.
  • 1 teaspoon of sweetener or equivalent of sugar substitute  I use Stevia Extract.
  • Salt and Pepper to Taste, Some Change Upswill take less due to the change up ingredients. 

Mexicali Change Up

 
 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
1 & 1/2 Teaspoons of Cumin
1 Cup or Can of Beans--Any kind.
2 Cups Corn, peas, spinach, cabbage, celery to taste if desired, mix with other veggies.

Italiano Change Up

 
1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
2 Cups of Fresh or Frozen Veggies-Corn, Zucchini, Peas, We didn't like Green Beans, potatoes, carrots, or any mix; celery is good, but needs to be mixed with carrots and/or potatoes.  California mix really good.

Middle Eastern Change Up


1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Fenugreek
1/2 small head of purple cabbage
1 to 2 beef bouillon cubes-or equivalent powder or granules
I like to add chickpeas to this recipe
 
I'm looking for an Indian Change Upif anyone has some suggestions?

Some notes on the Change Ups:

You can do just about anything with this you like.  It is one of those dishes that rarely tastes exactly the same each time, but always comes out tasting wonderful.

I have been know to throw in some chia seeds to my dishes if they are not thick enough to suit me.  A few tablespoons does not change the taste but absorbs plenty of water.  It also adds lots of soluable fiber to the dish, and a great improvement for healthfulness of the dish.

If you are using dried beans soak the overnight per the instructions on the bag or box.

  • Brown the onions and pepper mix.  Add sausage and brown a bit.
  • Add both cans of tomatoes, beans, and herbs & spices of your Change Up™  of choice.  Let cook for a minimum of 1 hour covered.
  • Add the Change Upfrozen and/or fresh veggies and fresh.  Let cook for 10 minutes minimum, but check the water content as you don't want the dish to dry up during cooking.
  • You can serve this over rice if you choose, or not as you so desire.  I don't usually serve over rice if I have put beans, corn and/or potatoes in the dish, as the corn & potatoes are enough starch, and the beans have enough fiber for me.
I hope you enjoy this dish.



*Copyright-This material may not be copied in whole or in part without permission of the author. Inquire below for information.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment